The Foundation is collaborating with Virginia Western Community College and regional manufacturing companies to develop adult education programs that assist with future workforce training goals.Virginia Western Community College will offer programs in Basic Manufacturing, Basic Machining, Manufacturing Production, and CNC Machining this fall. Any Chamber member business can apply for scholarship monies toward manufacturing and administrative courses.
Selection Criteria for Participation
- The candidate must be an employee of a Salem-Roanoke County Chamber of Commerce member.
- The candidate must complete an application form with a personal essay (less than 250 words) allowing the committee to obtain a broader view of the applicant. The essay should clearly communicate the candidate's educational goals, career objectives, and how his or her chosen course of study will help in achieving these goals.
- The candidate's company must provide a letter of recommendation from management.
- The selection committee will review candidate(s) application.
- The candidate will then sign a contract which requires the candidate complete the following:
- Send a thank you letter to the Foundation Board
- Send a follow-up letter after program completion(letter explains how scholarship was used and how it changed the candidate's life/career)
- Member organization will send a follow-up letter(letter details how the education has facilitated employees success/advancement within company)
- Sign a release to allow use for promotion of the program.