Plans have begun for the 61st Annual Salem Christmas Parade which is co-sponsored by the Salem-Roanoke County Chamber of Commerce and Salem Kiwanis Club. It is scheduled for Friday, December 1st, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. If bad weather forces cancellation, the parade will be rescheduled for Monday, December 4, 2017.
The parade committee invites you to enter a float, marching unit or an appropriate novelty decorated with a Christmas Theme. An entry fee of $50 is required to process your application. A $40 entry fee will be charged for NON-Profit organizations. Your entry fee covers parade promotional expenses as well as mailings and prizes.
We ask your cooperation on the following points:
- Entries must be postmarked on or before November 17th to avoid late fees.
- A late fee of $20.00 will be added to entries submitted after this date.
- Entries after November 22nd are $150
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE ALL PARTICIPATES AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING RULES:
- CANDY-Must be handed and not thrown by those walking alongside the float ONLY. Those distributing candy may not hold up the parade at anytime. ONCE THE PARADE BEGINS YOU MAY NOT EXIT YOUR FLOAT.
- SANTA- You may not have anyone dressed as Santa. THE “OFFICIAL” SANTA WILL RIDE ON THE FIRE TRUCK AT THE END OF THE PARADE.
- ANIMALS- Dogs and Horses Permitted.
- Dogs: Must be on a leash, must have current rabies vaccinations, dogs must also have current tags with the city or county that can be presented on demand. ALL WASTE MUST BE PICKED UP IMMEDIATELY.
- THEME- Vehicles and floats entered in the parade must be decorated with a Christmas theme. Failure to comply will cause your entry to be removed from the line-up and your entry will not be judged. NO EXCEPTIONS. NO Santa Claus costumes.
- MOVEMENT of PARADE- There should not be any large gaps between entries once the parade begins. Entries found causing delays will not be permitted to participate in 2018.
- ANYBODY WHO WISHES TO SELL PRODUCTS AT THE PARADE WILL NEED TO CONTACT THE COMMISSIONER OF REVENUE.
NOTE: ANY VIOLATIONS TO THE ABOVE WILL DISQUALIFY YOU FROM PARTICIPATING IN THE 2017 SALEM
All parade entries will be judged and prizes will be presented to the entries with the best marching group, the best
religious theme, the best old-fashioned Christmas theme and the best children’s group.
Please complete the enclosed entry form and return it to the chamber before the deadline of November 14th. Details
and directions concerning the place and time of line-up and your unit number will be sent to you by November 22nd.
Please be sure the contact on your registration form is the PERSON RESPONSIBLE for your parade entry.
The Chamber of Commerce reserves the right to refuse late registrations.
If you have any questions you may call the Chamber of Commerce at: 540-387-0267.